Sunday, September 5, 2021

Postcard from Chojun Miyagi in 1944

Source: http://ryubun21.net/index.php?itemid=12734

 

The postcard from Chojun Miyagi in Okinawa to Seiji Tomikawa in Kyoto (Year 1944)

Thank you for your letter. I have read it as soon as I received. So you transferred to Doshisha University (in Kyoto). Congratulations. How have you been since then? I also thank you for your co-operation to send my message to Karate-do Club of Ritsumeikan University (in Kyoto).

As you know, we face US airstrikes. I evacuated from (Naha) to (Urazoe) to escape the air raids. You can see my new address on this postcard. Fortunately we are all fine and safe. Don't worry.

I am confused because I can't get in touch with members of the karate club. Kindly let them know my new address, and let me know addresses and names of the board members of the karate club.

Mr. Koike, the Kendo instructor of Okinawa Male Teacher University, will drop in Ritsumeikan University.

Send my best regards to Karate-do Club of Ritsumeikan University.

Translator's note: I could not translate all parts of Miyagi's postcard, as some parts are blurred, not clear and I cannot read them. This postcard was handwritten by Chojun Miyagi.

(Translated by Sanzinsoo)